Get A Quote
Decks – The Attraction Of Every Backyard
Composite wooden decks are popular among those who love the outdoors. Composite wooden decks are used as part of garden landscaping. They also serve as extensions of the living areas of the house. Composite wooden decks are a good alternative to stone-based structures such as patios.
A composite wooden deck enhances the value of your home. It is the perfect functional space to host friends in the summer. It is an ideal place for outdoor grills. Wooden decks and composite wooden decks are popular among outdoor enthusiasts. Here are a few points to consider before installing a deck.
Pros & Cons of Wooden Decks
- Wooden decks have a natural look and aesthetic appeal.
- Wooden decks made of cedar and redwood are less prone to warping
- Wooden decks can be easily cut up and rearranged into new styles and layouts.
- High-quality wooden decks are durable than cheaper alternatives.
- Wooden decks can be stained in various colours.
- Wooden decks are expensive to install and maintain.
- Wooden decks can split or crack.
- Wooden decks rot without proper care and maintenance.
How Many Years Does a Wooden Deck Last?
An average wooden deck typically lasts for around 10 – 15 years. High-quality wooden decks made from cedar or redwood can last over 40 years with proper care and maintenance. Cedar is less likely to rot as it doesn’t retain much moisture.
Wooden decks made from mahogany are beautiful. Mahogany is harder than cedar which makes it scratch-proof. Although it doesn’t require as much maintenance as cedar, it can still last over 40 years with proper care.
How Much Does a Wooden Deck Cost?
Wooden deck costs are calculated by taking into account the type of wood and size of the deck. Cost of labour is another factor. Staining or painting at the time of installation also adds to the cost. Treated wood decks cost an average of $50 to $60 per square foot including labour. Cedarwood decks cost an average of $55 to $66 square foot per square foot including labour.
Decks From Composite Materials
Composite wooden decks provide the natural look of wood without the drawbacks associated with wooden decks. They do not splinter or rot. Composite wooden decks are made from hardwood and polypropylene blend. They can be cut just like wood which makes them easy to install.
Pros & Cons of Composite Decks
- Composite wooden decks are weather and stain-resistant.
- Composite wooden decks are lightweight.
- Composite wooden decks are available in a variety of colours.
- Composite Wooden decks do not splinter or rot.
- Composite wooden decks are cheap to maintain.
- Composite wooden decks do not have a natural wood look.
- Composite wooden decks are not resistant to mold and mildew.
- Composite wooden decks tend to sag and bend more than wooden decks.
How Much Does a Composite Deck Cost?
Composite wood decks are more expensive to install than wooden decks but their maintenance cost is low. Like wooden decks, size and labour also add to the cost of composite wooden decks. Composite wooden decks cost an average of $75 to $85 per square foot including labour.